We will continue to update this page with information as things evolve. We wish we could give every one of you a huge Chris Shepherd hug right now. In this time of uncertainty, we wanted to you to have access to the following helpful links:
RENT, EVICTIONS and UTILITIES
- These are the cities that are temporarily prohibiting evictions. Breathe deep if you are on this list.
- If you have your electricity through Reliant, they ask that you contact them here. They will work with you on your bills.
- Most utility companies will work with you on your bills and many cities are prohibiting companies from discontinuing service. Please contact your providers directly.
- If you live in Texas and have recently lost your job due to (COVID-19) pandemic, please visit the Texas Workforce Commission to learn more about filing for unemployment benefits.
- Please visit https://www.usa.gov/unemployment if you have questions about federal unemployment.
- If you live in Houston and work in the food and beverage industry, our friends at Houston Shift Meal want you to have a nourishing, comforting meal. Also, if you are a restaurant that would like to apply to be included in the sponsored program (yes, you receive funding to provide food), please visit their website at www.houstonshiftmeal.com.
- If you live in Houston and need food, Mattress Mack is giving away free meals to those in need.
- Here is a list to help you find your local food bank anywhere in the US
FINANCING (BUSINESS OWNERS)
- Our friends at Allegiance Bank wanted you to know that if you are a restaurant or bar owner, there is a low interest government loan available to you.
- Forbes put out this list of resources for small business owners.
MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES
We know this time is terrifying for so many. There is never shame in asking for help. More help is on the way from Mental Health America! We will be updating this portion of this page as our partners across the nation come forward with resources.
- If you need or would like to be in touch with a mental health professional, please visit Methodist Hospital's online behavioral health program. This is available to ANYONE in the country.
- Harris County’s COVID-19 Mental Health Support Line at 833-251-7544 operated by The Harris Center.
- NAMI – Texas is providing online support groups for people living with mental health conditions and their family members. Learn more here. Call NAMI: 512-693-2000. Email NAMI.
Our partners at Restaurant Workers' Community Foundation, who give Southern Smoke 50% of their funds raised to support funding to those in the food and beverage industry in crisis, have put together a really great list of resources for you too. We highly recommend visiting their site too.